1.1 Store GERLED® strips at a temperature of not less than -40 and not more than 60 degrees Celsius. GERLED® LED strips can be used at temperatures from -20 to +50 degrees Celsius, but the longest life of the strip can be achieved at room temperatures.
1.2 Store the GERLED® strips carefully, preferably in factory antistatic packaging. Protected the LED strips against dirt, dust and moisture (especially the indoor products).
1.3 Never touch the diodes, any soiling of a single diode may result in improper operation of the complete GERLED® strip.
1.4 GERLED®'s range can be divided into three classes of sealing and resistance to dust and water. These are IP 40, 65 and 68 tightness classes.
IP40 strips are suitable for indoor use in areas where the strip will not be exposed to liquids, moisture or dust. No protective layer.
IP67 strips — for indoor or outdoor use. The diodes in this strips are coated with an epoxy resin that protects the product against splashing water or contact with dust. Carefully select the surface to fix the strip as it should enable heat dissipation.
IP68 strips — suitable for outdoor use. The entire surface of the strip is coated with epoxy resin, which fully protects it against water, dust or dirt. This type of strips can be installed in areas constantly exposed to water such as swimming pools or skating rinks.
1.5 Before installing the GERLED® strip, check if the strip is working properly. The surface for fixing the strip should be clean, and free of any rough places. The GERLED® strips have 3M adhesive tapes for quick and easy fixing to the base.
Installation and connection of GERLED® strips
2.1 GERLED® strips must be supplied with a 12 VDC or 24 VDC power. (Depending on the type.) Never connect a strip directly to 230 V power supply, this could result not only in damage of product but also health and even life hazard.
2.2 The electrical installation to be used for supplying a GERLED® strip must be in good condition and have adequate protective devices installed; if you don’t know how to install the LED strip or how to prepare installation properly, consult an electrician.
2.3 Use dedicated LED installation power supplies with GERLED® strips. It is recommended you select the power supply to match your product in our store with the help of our experts. The use of any other power supplies (not intended for LED installations) can damage the strip.
2.4 The LED installation should be supplied using wires with a suitable cross section as this will prevent voltage drops, i.e. burning out diodes. Ask an electrician or our advisor for help in the selection of the correct cross-sectional size or length of a cable.
2.5 Exposure of GERLED® strips to direct action of weather conditions such as rain, moisture, steam or UV radiation can (depending on the type of strip) shorten its life, or is likely to damage the installation.
2.6 The surface for fixing a GERLED® strip should be dry, smooth and free from grease and ensure appropriate heat dissipation. Never install a GERLED® strip on a heat emitting surface. Overheating is the most common reason for the failure of the LED strips, which does not result from defects of manufacture, but improper use and is not covered by warranty.
2.7 You can divide a GERLED® strip into fragments of selected lengths according to your needs, every 2.5 cm, 5 cm or 10 cm, depending on the product type. The strip may be cut or unsoldered only in the locations indicated on the strip.
2.8 Do not install GERLED® strips (with the exception of the S-TYPE) at an angle or bend it as this could damage the strip. The only applicable orientation for the strip is shown on the roll, you can see that after removing the product from its packaging.
2.9 Never treat a GERLED® strip as an electrical wire.
2.10 Remember these very important principles for soldering GERLED® strips:
- Be careful when soldering.
- Do not touch the diodes with soldering gun as it may damage the diodes.
- Soldering of LED strips is possible only using a soldering gun. Soldering with a transformer soldering iron can damage the LEDs. The temperature of the gun point should be about 325–375 degrees Celsius.
- Never solder a live GERLED® strip; unplug the strip from the power supply.
- Use good quality solder (preferably with silver or gold alloys) and soldering paste, use protective goggles and all available protection measures.
3. What is the correct distance of connecting power to a GERLED® strip?
To avoid voltage drops and overheating of the strips, it is recommended to connect power supply to the strip every few meters. This can be done for example by connecting the power supply on the two sides of a circuit or by soldering a supply cable into a serial installation.
Here is an example with recommended spacing of power supply connections to GERLED® strips:
How to connect GERLED® strips?
- Carefully remove the strip from the antistatic packaging.
- Verify that the GERLED® strip is intact, check all diodes and the PCB strip (underside). It is essential to check that the colour temperature at the entire length of the LED strip is the same!
- Cut the strip or make desired sections by cutting only in designated places.
- Make sure that all connections (couplings or soldering points) are fitted correctly and check if the strip is a whole.
- Remove dust, degrease and clean the surface selected for fixing the GERLED® strip.
- Remove the protective layer from the 3M tape located on the back of the GERLED® strip.
- Carefully fix the strip to surface, check that the entire surface of the strip has been attached evenly and securely.
- Connect the cable coming out from the end of the strip to the power supply, checking first the poles "+" and "-".
- Turn on the power supply, check that the whole strip lights up with uniform colour and enjoy the possibilities available with GERLED® lighting.
5. Frequent errors and omissions resulting in exclusion from warranty claims.
- Too few power connections to the LED strip, too long sections of GERLED® strip without power.
- Too small capacity of 12 V power supply, the power supply does not match the length of the connected strip.
- Subjecting the GERLED® strip the direct action of weather conditions.
- Incorrect cross section of feed wiring.
- Use of unsuitable power supplies, not intended for powering LED lights.
- Lack of good heat dissipation, e.g. by fixing an IP65 strip in a profile.
- Induction loops.
- Bad soldering of GERLED® strips or incorrect connection using the snap-on connectors.
- Damage to the PCB's base or LEDs during preparation of the LED strip and the base, soldering and connecting installation.
- Incorrect storage of GERLED® strips.
- Connection of the GERLED® LED strip directly to power source (230V), or inappropriate connection of the strip to the power supply.
- Cutting GERLED® LED strip in places not designated for this purpose.
- Installing or soldering GERLED® LED strip with power on.
If you notice any faults after the purchase of GERLED® strip during unpacking, connecting or use, let us know. We will do our best to determine the source of the fault during a conversation or by visual check and help you in the correct connection of the LED lighting, or open a warranty claim. In matters associated with electrical installations, we recommend that you contact a certified electrician.